Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sunny Saturdays

Portland comes alive on a sunny afternoon. Today the city felt really vibrant. Everyone was out and about walking their dogs, visiting and eating. Rach and I went and had yummy breakfast with Erica at a little diner that has been in Portland since the 1940's. After we said good bye to Erica at the airport we hit the library briefly then Rach left for Yoga and I met lena to go the Saturday market.

For those of you who have never been to the Portland Saturday Market it is a sight worth seeing. Tons of people teemed in and out of multiple booths of anything and everything you can sell. Every other person has a dog with them and there is so much yummy food the air is saturated with tantilizing smells. All of this is set along Portland's gorgeous waterfront park where there are numerous bands and musicians playing and children are romping around in the fountains. Lena and I tried really yummy Perogies, a Polish kind of potato dumpling filled with cheese. It was fantastic. We sat on a bench and visited while we ate and watching the people wander through the park. I really wanted to throw myself down on the grass with a good book and a blanket as many others were already doing. We also discovered several independent jewelry makers whose wares were just gorgeous. When I have money I will be coming back for sure.

Later we realized we hadn't put enough money in the parking meter and we raced back to check it, thankfully no ticket. What we did discover was an amazing marimba player ( looks like a wooden xylephone?) who plays in front of our house in the park frequently. I can't wait to open the window of our new apartment nice and wide and listen as the melody floats up. The artist website is www.michaelcharleysmith.com. Check him out, he was very talented.

Currently sitting in Powell's, one of my very favorite haunts of all time. I could be in here forever. Attempted to work somewhat on applications. Lena is diligently working on her application for Uganda across from me.

Off to meet Rachael for dinner.

Two days ( well three technically but I don't count the day of) until I see my clark street girls. Seriously cannot express the excitement.

Love to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment